Who qualifies for weight loss surgery?
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years of age or older
- Have one of the following:
- BMI of 30* (for Lap-Band® surgery only) with at least one medical condition associated with obesity such as diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, etc.
- BMI of 35 with at least one medical condition associated with obesity
- BMI of ≥ 40
- Previous unsuccessful weight loss attempts
- Make major changes in eating habits and lifestyle
- Sign informed consent
- Commit to regularly scheduled follow-up visits
* The FDA has recently approved expanded use of the Lap-Band® for obese adults with a minimum BMI of 30 and at least one medical condition associated with obesity. Please check with your insurance provider to confirm coverage.